During the War of the Lance, the Dragonarmies were split into five great armies, representing each of the chromatic wyrms of Takhisis. Presiding over each of the armies was a Dragon Highlord, who oversaw all the military operations and command. The Highlords anwsered only to Ariakas (who had risen to the rank of Emperor) and to the dark queen Takhisis herself.
The Highlords were Dragonarmy officers who had risen through the ranks by whatever means necessary. Amongst their number were clerics, wizards, warriors and rogues. The Highlords were the generals of the armies and were served directly by the Highmasters, who were their lieutenants and aides.
At any one time, there were only five Dragon Highlords.
The Dragon Highlords:
- Maldeev, the first Highlord of the Black Dragon Armies
- Lucien of Takar, became Highlord of the Black Dragon Armies after Maldeevs' death
- Feal-Thas, the first Highlord of the White Dragon Armies
- Fewmaster Toede, became Highlord of the Red Dragon Armies after Verminaard's death
- Barbarossa, became Highlord of the White Dragon Armies after Toede's death
- Unknown, the first Highlord of the Green Dragon Armies
- Salah-Khan, became Highlord of the Green Dragon Armies after the death of the first Green Highlord
- Hullek Skullsmasher, became Highlord of the Green Dragon Armies after Salah-Khan's death
- Merinsaard, the first Highlord of the Blue Dragon Armies
- Kartilann of Khur, became Highlord of the Blue Dragon Armies after Merinsaard's death
- Kitiara Uth Matar, became Highlord of the Blue Dragon Armies after Kartilann's death
- Karalas, became Highlord of the Blue Dragon Armies after Kitiara's death
- Duulket Ariakas, the first Highlord of the Red Dragon Armies
- Phair Caron, became Highlord of the Red Dragon Armies after Duulket Ariakas became Emperor
- Verminaard of Nidus, became Highlord of the Red Dragon Armies after Phair Caron's death.
- Rugoheras, became Highlord of the Red Dragon Armies after Verminaard's death
The original Green Highlord was killed in the early campaign in Khur and his name was stricken from all records. Marcus Cadrio took over the duties of Highlord of the Black Dragon Armies after the death of Lucien of Takar, however out of respect to Lucien, Cadrio never took the title of Highlord and ruled his army as a Highmaster instead.
The title of Emperor of Ansalon was given to the human mage Ariakas. He held his position until Tanis Half-Elven, with the help of the now black robed mage Raistlin Majere, struck him down when the dark queen herself was to enter the mortal plane through her temple in Neraka. Subsequently after that event it was said the Kitiara laid claim to the crown of power but also after the event the dragon armies were too busy fighting amongst themselves to once again attack Ansalon.